when we heal the earth, we heal ourselves. david orr

Alicia on The Mike Nowak Show

Chicago horticulture expert Mike Nowak invited me on his radio show to discuss Earth Hour. LISTEN HERE. I'm about 3/4 of the way into the recording.

Monday, September 27, 2010

EcoChat: Tonight, a Lesson in Perseverance

Competing for a Pepsi Refresh grant really takes a lot out of you. It's constant campaigning: long nights, early mornings, and you can count on losing your voice from having to describe your project to so many people over and over again. One month is about all most people can take, but Charles Mattocks is a 14-year-old Eagle Scout who's not giving up - he's been competing for a Pepsi Refresh America grant for months now, and it looks like he's got a good chance of winning this time around! With only a few days left in the competition, Charles is currently ranked 8th to win $5k to build a greenhouse for his community and HE'LL BE ON ECOCHAT TONIGHT to talk about his project and his perseverance to win the grant.


I found out about Charles while I was campaigning for Meet The Gulf because his team of supporters left messages on my project page telling me that they were supporting my project with daily votes. Through comments on HIS PEPSI PROJECT PAGE, I learned that Charles had been competing for awhile and hadn't been successful in winning a grant - but he didn't give up. He entered again. And when he didn't win that time he entered again. It takes a lot of guts and faith in yourself to continue competing and I can't wait to hear more about how he's found the strength to compete for so long.

I hope you'll join me tonight to meet Charles and learn more about his project. This is a great lesson for young people, so if you know any teens, invite them to watch!

We're live at 8pm CST on www.ecochatonline.com. Be there.

No comments:

Post a Comment