when we heal the earth, we heal ourselves. david orr

Alicia on The Mike Nowak Show

Chicago horticulture expert Mike Nowak invited me on his radio show to discuss Earth Hour. LISTEN HERE. I'm about 3/4 of the way into the recording.

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

My Dog's Poop Is Ruining My Carbon Footprint

Peanut. Poor Peanut. He's a little guy dealing with a lot of separation anxiety. Unfortunately his nervous energy ends up materializing into a pile of poop in his crate when we leave him home alone, and it's making a serious dent in my carbon footprint.

Today I had an early morning meeting and was back home by 10:30am. Erik usually leaves for work at 8:30am, so Peanut was only in his crate for two hours tops.

The first sign was the smell. Unmistakable. I knew it was there, I just didn't know where. After poking around a little, I saw the lump hiding between the blanket and the wall.










Day after day, Erik and I enter our apartment to the same crime scene. The more he poops, the more we have to invest in paper towels (which I buy, begrudgingly) to clean it up, the more crate bedding that ends up in the trash, the more water is used to bathe him and wash soiled blankets, the more trips to the store we make to keep up with it all.

We always walk him before we leave, but it doesn't make a difference. He poops anyway. We've tried putting doggy diapers on him too. They're really only meant to prevent pee from staining your carpet or floor, but we thought wearing one might keep him from wanting to poop.

Nope.

We don't know what to do. Anybody have Cesar Millan's phone number?

1 comment:

morgan said...

I have the same issue! And I feel your pain. Typically I do not toss my pups bedding (unless it is a bad one) but instead I wash in hot water. Kind of a trade off but at least I am not adding to the land fill.

Good luck!

Post a Comment