when we heal the earth, we heal ourselves. david orr

Alicia on The Mike Nowak Show

Chicago horticulture expert Mike Nowak invited me on his radio show to discuss Earth Hour. LISTEN HERE. I'm about 3/4 of the way into the recording.

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

EcoChat Wrap-up: Sustainable Food Systems

Last night's show was a doozy! We had more guests than ever before and the show pulled in a great crowd. We even kept the broadcast running for an extra half hour to incorporate more feedback.

Obviously the future of American agriculture is a hot topic, and there are no clear answers as to how the industry will take shape in the next five to ten years, as alternative farming methods gain popularity and new technology makes its way into the mix. I was happy to engage differing opinions on the future of sustainable agriculture.

To quote one of my favorite authors, J.S. Mill: "...only through a diversity of opinion is there, in the existing state of human intellect, a chance of fair play to all sides of the truth."

I hope viewers will continue the conversation with neighbors, friends, and colleagues so that we can all foster a better understanding of the challenges ahead.

I will put together a highlight reel, but it will take a few days to get it up here. In the meantime, give me your feed back on the show.

What did you think of the guests and show topics?

Any suggestions for improvement?

Please leave your comments below. EcoChat is a work in progress, and I've already incorporated viewer feedback into the format of the show. Please let me know what you think. It does make a difference.

5 comments:

SteakPerfection said...

Thanks, Alicia. @EcoChat was very informative and also entertaining. I look forward to joining you for future chats.

Kathy said...

Alicia,

I thought the chat was very professional and courteous. I was impressed that everyone treated each other with respect. Obviously, technical glitches made it difficult to keep things flowing, but overall I think people should have been able to follow.

At least for me, a FAQ tutorial that I could have read ahead of time would have been helpful. I wasn't sure how to ask a question. (I joined late, so I apologize if you covered it at the beginning.)

I look forward to future chats.

EcoChicago said...

Thanks for commenting. I'm glad you found the chat informative, Steak Perfection.

Kathy: The guests did an excellent job keeping their responses to the point and were all very respectful of each other, which made a great discussion.

We did go over how to submit a question at the top of the show and then again later in the broadcast, but I will make a more concerted effort to have our chat box moderator remind viewers more frequently so late comers aren't confused. Thanks for the info.

Brad Moldofsky said...

It was fun moderating the chat, although much of my time was spent dizzily trying to follow the threads of a dismembered conversation constantly interrupted by 8 other people. If only the programmers at Vokle could color code conversations or something to help us distinguish them easier.
In any case, it was nice to have a diversity of opinion in the chat room. So often people find themselves preaching to the choir. It's interesting to hear another perspective in a calm, civilized forum, even if you don't agree with it.

EcoChicago said...

I'm so thankful we had you moderating the chat. Brad...it was definitely enough work to drive someone mad! I think your suggestion is a good one re: color coding conversations, and I'll pass it on to the Vokle team.

Post a Comment