when we heal the earth, we heal ourselves. david orr

Alicia on The Mike Nowak Show

Chicago horticulture expert Mike Nowak invited me on his radio show to discuss Earth Hour. LISTEN HERE. I'm about 3/4 of the way into the recording.

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

EcoChat Wrap-up: Earth Hour and Climate Change

Well, this show was...interesting. First, the bad news: Unfortunately Vokle was still experiencing server issues Monday night which meant I had to conference call Steve and Paula on my defunct iPhone and hope my microphone would pick them up on speaker. It wasn't ideal, but it worked. During the show my lovely webcam kept slipping and revealed my dog walking around in the background. To top it all off, after the show was over I found out my recording did not pick up the audio properly, so I couldn't archive the chat for those who missed it.

Now, for the good news: I think Paula (ComEd) and Steve (Citizens Climate Lobby) were able to hit on some great points during the chat and I received good feedback from Tweeps about what they learned on the show. We also had a new chat moderator, JR Plate from GREEN NEW EARTH who provided meaningful feedback during the show and connected viewers with important resources.

Here are some resources discussed in the chat:

EXELON CITY SOLAR, the largest urban solar power array in the US located on the South Side of Chicago. I'll have to get out there and make a video about this. It's amazing.

KILOWATTOURS, a documentary about an Appalachian community at war with a mining company for destroying an entire ecology.

CHICAGO EARTH HOUR EVENTS, a list of events celebrating Earth Hour on Saturday.

I also found out that ComEd is giving away a Home Energy Audit if you email them at EarthHourIL@gmail.com with "Energy Audit" in the subject line and include your name, address and phone number in the email to enter the contest.

The audit is valued at $750 and includes a variety of in-home assessments to see how you and your family can conserve energy and save money. You'll get recommendations on improving the energy efficiency of your home based on tests like blower door testing, infrared thermography, combustion analysis, computer modeling and utility bill analysis.

DEADLINE is March 25 at midnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment