when we heal the earth, we heal ourselves. david orr

Alicia on The Mike Nowak Show

Chicago horticulture expert Mike Nowak invited me on his radio show to discuss Earth Hour. LISTEN HERE. I'm about 3/4 of the way into the recording.

Wednesday, February 3, 2010

My Twitter Bio: Lovely? Who Knew.

I got a DM from a new EcoChicagoIL twitter friend that caught me by surprise. The other day, @GreenCarService wrote: "Thanks for the local green follow! I love your bio. :)"

Love my bio?

I had to ask for clarification. I wrote back: "You mean my twitter bio?"

Sure enough.

When I composed this supposedly lovely bio, it was mainly just to put words in a space. There wasn't much to say. Having only recently caught on to the green scene, I kept it simple: "Trying to be green one day at a time." Back then -- (Jan 09) -- I had just launched EcoChicago and didn't have a sophisticated history of good deeds to convey or any followers to pay attention to my twitter bio.

But when @GreenCarService commented, it forced me to reconsider what I wrote, and I realized something: it's still true. And, simple as it is, the line is more than a bio. It's a mission. I think it's every ecogeek's mission.

There isn't some grand finish line.

When @GreenCarService replied to my question, he/she stated: "Yes, I think the realistic simplicity of your message speaks volumes for what everyone can do in simple steps to make a HUGE impact."

The fact is: we're all trying to be green. Whether we've been trying for the past ten years, or the past two weeks doesn't matter. It's a process, not a destination, and we're either on the path toward sustainability or away from it. Believe me, there have been times when I've faltered.

There is trash in the landfill because I didn't recycle it.

I've brought plastic bags home from the store that could have been spared.

Conventional beauty products are in my purse, even though I know my lipstick probably contains lead.

I haven't visited the Green City Market all Winter.

Even though my path toward sustainability does include deviations, I'm still green. I still recycle 50 items for every one that I don't. I still remind Erik to put the reusable shopping bags in the car (because it's his fault if they're missing). I still read the labels on new products I buy to avoid ones with Parabens and Phthalates. I still plan to go to the Green City Market when weather permits to support local farmers.

As time goes on, I keep adding to the list- improving my track record. I hope you are too.

No comments:

Post a Comment