when we heal the earth, we heal ourselves. david orr

Alicia on The Mike Nowak Show

Chicago horticulture expert Mike Nowak invited me on his radio show to discuss Earth Hour. LISTEN HERE. I'm about 3/4 of the way into the recording.

Friday, February 19, 2010

Drive-by Fruiting at Denver Int'l Airport

So I'm walking through Denver Int'l Airport trying to find a healthy snack before catching a connecting flight, when a basket of oranges catches my eye from across the food court.

I'm thinking, this will be great. Just what I was looking for! Imagine my disappointment when I realized, upon nearing the fruit stand, that each piece of produce was individually wrapped in plastic!

Now, as far as I know, people don't eat orange peels, so I couldn't figure out what, exactly, was going on here. The bad new is, it got worse.

I looked over to the left and realized, !!!, every bagel was also individually wrapped in plastic! I had never witnessed such a superfluous use of plastic in my life. Now I was mad.

So I did the only thing a hopelessly indignant green blogger could do. I took pictures:










No one else was taking pictures of food, of course, so my odd behavior caught the attention of two men in suits who happened to be talking about the display in question.

When I asked why in the world each piece of fruit was individually wrapped in plastic! they told me it was to comply with the food and beverage health standards for the airport. Food with an exposed, edible skin had to be protected from open air.

"And we don't have to wrap the oranges, but we do it anyway because we're already wrapping the apples, and it makes a cute little single-item fruit basket, don't you think?"

The look on my face let him know what I thought. What do you think?

2 comments:

Claudia Lawrence said...

Hi, ur blog is really nice, while reading I truly like it. I just wanna suggest that u should go for blog advertising & marketing there is a website which is offering very unique features at affordable prices there are expert advertising team who will promote ur blog & affiliate ads through all over the networks which will definitely boost ur traffic & readers. Finally I have bookmarked ur blog & also shared this blog to my friends.. i think my friend might too like it hope u have a wonderful day & !!happy blogging!!.

OneSeedChicago said...

Yeah, it is kind of crazy, but it makes a lot of sense. I don't want airport germs all over my bagels and oranges.

Post a Comment