when we heal the earth, we heal ourselves. david orr

Alicia on The Mike Nowak Show

Chicago horticulture expert Mike Nowak invited me on his radio show to discuss Earth Hour. LISTEN HERE. I'm about 3/4 of the way into the recording.

Wednesday, January 6, 2010

CBS 2 Investigators Reveal Ilegal Toxic Waste Dumping

Last night the 2 Investigators revealed Illinois Department of Transportation (IDOT) employees showing a shocking disregard for the environment and public health as they dumped gallons of alleged toxic waste onto public property near residential neighborhoods throughout the Chicago area. A solitary whistle blower was CBS 2's main source of information. He says this has been going on for years at the behest of IDOT management. You can watch the original video from CBS 2 News HERE.

The story got me concerned about runoff from toxic chemicals into water supplies. You have a right to know what's in your water. According to the EPA, you should receive annual water reports from your water company stating the source and contents of your water.

Recently, I noticed my water smelling like garlic. I checked out the DEPARTMENT OF WATER MANAGEMENT website for the latest report, but the 2009 results were not available. Looks like I'll have to do more hunting to get the information I'm looking for...

1 comment:

wooyabee said...

This is happening everywhere. I am constantly seeing restaurants' dishwashers dump the mopwater at the curb when done being used. also illegal. and somehow more difficult to catch?

Post a Comment