when we heal the earth, we heal ourselves. david orr

Alicia on The Mike Nowak Show

Chicago horticulture expert Mike Nowak invited me on his radio show to discuss Earth Hour. LISTEN HERE. I'm about 3/4 of the way into the recording.

Monday, October 19, 2009

Welcome to EcoChicago


Alicia's message:


Thank you for visiting my blog. The idea for EcoChicago came after I read the book A World Without Us by Alan Weisman. It was the chapter on polymers that changed my life. Learning about our garbage piling up in the North Pacific Gyre both enraged and inspired me. How could we let this happen to our Earth? Why hadn't I known about this before? What can I do about it?

And so, the journey began.

When I established EcoChicago in January 2009, I found myself in the midst of an eco-revolution. Gas prices were breaking records, the economy was in a downward spiral, and Barack Obama had just been elected President. Each of these were turning points in making "green" more mainstream in the US. The American media began to seriously and consistently report about alternative energy, and although some companies took unfair advantage of the changing tide, other big domestic brands were finally promoting truly green products. The transformation was underway.

EcoChicago attempts to bring a local focus to this emerging green industry, while remaining relevant to the international green community. So, explore the site! You'll find videos highlighting Chicago's green resources, rants against greenwashing, and insight into my own lifestyle adjustments. Please leave comments or reach me by email. I'm always thrilled to hear from anyone who pops in.

About Alicia:

Alicia Ontiveros is a freelance producer and writer with a background in television and web video production. Her experience includes network television programs airing on The History Channel, National Geographic, The Animal Planet, The Weather Channel, The Biography Channel and PBS.

As a savvy ecogeek she writes about green topics for print and web publications, and assists green companies in brand development using integrated social media platforms.

5 comments:

theartfuldoger1 said...

Hi,

My name is Ashley. I am a resident of Chicago and I am an environmentally conscious person. I've noticed that you can't swing a dead cat (to use Colbert's phrase) without running into a blog here on the world wide web. I guess I'm a bit jealous of the people who have a blog but I also wonder what people gain from them. Your blog offers alot of information on it; advertisements for businesses that are ecofriendly, and whatnot. Do you gain any personal revenue like from getting paid to post ads? Did you build this website?

~ Ashley

EcoChicago said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
EcoChicago said...

Hi Ashley. Glad you stopped by. I actually don't have any advertisements on this blog, currently. All product or business reviews have been at my sole discretion. I have no sponsors. I got my blog template off the web. It's free!

Blogging is a great way to network in an industry you are passionate about.

Good luck!

Alicia

Tomato said...

Hi Alicia,

Nice job on the chat. It was my first time on EcoChat. I still can't get my head around ag biotech being sustainable. I'll have to ask some questions to the farmers who I deal with. I may be wrong, but Michele Payn-Knoper seems to me to be a shill for Big Ag. Yes, we need farmers of all types to feed the world, but we shouldn't take as gospel what the corporations are saying is safe.

All the best,

Tom

EcoChicago said...

Tom,

Thanks for your input. We definitely featured varied voices in this episode. I have the same concerns about biotech as you do, but I hope you found it worthwhile to hear multiple perspectives in the chat. Do you have any suggestions for improvement?

Post a Comment